A PRINTED FASHION BLOG
By >Erica Abito">searchword=erica+abito&ordering=newest&searchphrase=all&limit=20">>Erica Abito
Spring is in the air my fashion-forward friends, which means it’s time for new beginnings and entirely new wardrobes. And when I say “new” in fashion terminology, I actually mean old—but in a good way. Fashion is all about revamping the classics to fit our current needs, and what we currently need is a fucking break from school. That’s why this month we had the ultimate anti-school movies in mind for our editorial inspiration: The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Spring is a chance to step out of the mundane and reinvent yourself, so put down the books and pick up your credit card. We call this month’s look “Springtime Rebel.” After all, who said you had to wait until Spring Break to skip class?
1. Blazers: It doesn’t get more classic than this. Switch up the leather jacket with a blazer next time you go out. You’ll still look just as fab at the bars, but you’ll stay cool when your favorite dance song comes on.
2. Denim: Go beyond jeans. Denim shirts and colorful denim shorts are spring must-haves. They can pretty much go with anything, except more denim. I know it’s kind of confusing, but remember we’re not actually trying to look like we starred in an ’80s rom-com. Use your denim sparingly.
3. Color: Yeah, I said it, color is a trend. Don’t get me wrong, 90% of my closet consists of black clothes, but the other 10% is brighter and bolder than a bag of Skittles. Sheer color-block blouses, pastel jeans, and neon dresses are a few of my spring favorites.
4. Floral print: Okay, so I have to admit that I do wear floral print all year-round, but if you’re like most people who think it’s strange to rock a rose-adorned crop top in 60 degree weather, your time is coming! Flowers just have a way of making everything prettier—cardigans, shirts, blazers, dresses and even shorts. It is usually a bold print on its own, so try to keep the rest of your outfit on the solid side.
First thing’s first: roll your pants up, just a little. I know it’s an odd request for some of you, but there’s something about bare ankles that drives girls mad. You can (and should) do this with fitted denim, corduroy and even khaki pants if you’re going for a preppy look. Make sure your socks aren’t visible and throw on some classic kicks to match. Vans, Converse, Sperry’s, Keds, or anything similar to these brands will work best. Classic denim shirts and jackets are also key pieces for you this season, boys, so if you’re wearing blue denim up top, wear some black jeans and brown cords for contrast.
BEAUTY BY CICI
This month, the hair and makeup look is all about fun in the sun. From sun-kissed lips to beachy blonde tresses, Spring Break is a reminder that summer is right around the corner.
1. I used Urban Decay Eye Potion in Sin to prep & prime the eyes and MAC’s Scene and Carbon shadows to create that blacked-out eye shadow look.
2. To get a nice winged lash line, try MAC’s liquid eyeliner in Bootblack, and paint your lashes with Maybelline Falsies Flared mascara in Very Black. If you want to be extra dramatic, top your lashes with the infamous Red Cherry false lashes in #47.
3. Fill and shape your eye brows with a brow pencil and try using an appropriately-colored eye shadow to blend and shade them in. Brows seem minor, but they should never be overlooked.
4. Once your eyes are glam as hell, it’s time to prep and prime your face. It’s best to apply your face primer and foundation after heavy eye makeup, just in case specks of your blackest black eye shadow fall. We used Laura Mercier face primer, MAC Studio Fix and Laura Mercier’s translucent powder to top it off.
5. Blush-wise, try mixing it up, literally. For this look, I mixed pink and orange Coastal Scents’ blushes together.
6. Lastly, for those stunning summer lips, line and paint your lips with your brightest red or pink lipstick, and then add some glitter. Gold shimmery eye shadow seems to work the best for this, just in the center of your lips, not all over. I used MAC’s Ruby Woo and Lickable lipsticks on this stunning-ass face this month.
I can’t take credit for the hair this month. Erica dip-dyed her own hair with bleach at home. She’s lucky that she’s cute and pulled it off. Style-wise, it’s basically loose curls, girls. Leaving the ends straight will add some edge, so your curls don’t look too perfect. You know we’re all about being a beautiful mess here at SS&EN. (To see the hair, makeup, and fashion in color, go to trenddiary.tumblr.com.)
Love & Chanel,